Saturday, November 08, 2008

Soup

During my student days in Buffalo, I worked at a vegetarian bakery and cafe called Preservation Hall. It was small, eight tables inside and three out. (If you've ever spent a winter in the Queen City, you'll know that the outside table season was brief.) The owner was not always easy to deal with, and the neighborhood could be dodgy, but on the whole it was a pleasant work experience. I still remember a few of the recipes I picked up there: the scones, some soups.

Tomorrow evening I'm having the family over to celebrate my sister's and my mother's birthdays. Tonight I'm making Pres Hall-style solyanka, a hearty potato and cabbage soup seasoned with dill, caraway and sour cream (or in this case, non-fat yogurt). I also plan to bake a loaf of bread and make stuffed butternut squash. I'd better not forget the chocolate hazelnut cake.

3 Comments:

Blogger evr said...

What time can Dave and I stop by for our 1991 breakfasts?

6:45 PM  
Blogger jain said...

And wasn't the entire dinner just yummy, especially the soup! (You should open a restaurant here.)

4:44 AM  
Blogger Sheila said...

Yes, a vegetarian restaurant right here in Fredonia :)

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home