Friday, May 22, 2009

योग

Today marks nine years since I began practicing yoga. This followed a move to Palo Alto (from Marin County) and a return to running. When I took my first class, I'd been running regularly for several months (ran my first B2B a couple of weeks earlier) and was reasonably fit, so imagine my surprise when said class kicked my butt.

Until I began my yoga practice, I wasn't very in tune with my body
. It seemed to work well enough, but I rarely demanded much of it. All that stretching and twisting reveals all sorts of surprises, so I've gotten to know it pretty well in the meantime. I've practiced an eclectic array of styles, embracing what I found to be useful and eschewing the dogmatic. I love the flow of Ashtanga vinyasa, the precision of Iyengar and Atma Vikasa. It was yoga that took me to India the first time, and for that I will be forever grateful.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sheila said...

Should've tucked my shirt in better :S

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home