Friday, December 12, 2008

There

The weather yesterday looked promising, reasonably clear and warm, so after lunch I got into my cycling gear and hit the road. I wanted to ride over the Golden Gate Bridge and up into the Marin Headlands. On a clear day, the view of the city from there is spectacular. It turned out to be somewhat cloudy, and the pollution was visible, but that didn't stop me from taking about 180 photographs.

Unsure of the best route and hoping to avoid the really killer hills, I took Van Ness across town to Lombard, and from there out to the Marina, Fort Mason and Crissy Field. Once you hit Crissy Field, there's a series of bike/ pedestrian paths and bike lanes that take you all the way to the Golden Gate Bridge. Van Ness, however, sucked. The road itself was more pot-hole than pavement, and the traffic-- even at mid-day-- was heavy. I decided I'd try an alternative route on my return.

I made good time crossing the city (despite the mess of VN), but once I hit Crissy Field I found myself stopping repeatedly, mesmerized by the ever-changing views of the Bay, the Bridge, and the Marin Headlands. I vowed several times that this would be the last stop until I reached the Headlands, but each time I found myself deciding that my appreciation of this lovely place was more important than time. Besides, I had plenty of time. (TBC)

1 Comments:

Blogger jain said...

Sounds great She. Its snowing again here, I will again be dealing with driving in it, which I hate but I got snow tires last week so that should make it a little easier.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home